Following on from the previous post, the black paint I used was very matt, but it contrasts nicely with the grey base coat.
I am trying a grey and black scheme on a Tudor building as a change from the standard cream and brown to see what it will look like.
I can’t believe it is two years since I last did anything with my MDF landing craft. I was contacted by the reader recently regarding my prototype landing craft posted in 2018.
Following the last build, I made a number of changes to the drawing but never got around to getting one cut. The main changes were to add higher side panels, so when tall Dust walkers are in the craft, it does not look too top heavy.
This is the standard side panel option, more suitable for WWII games.
For a more Weird War setting, the higher sides work better for tall walkers.
Here it is with two 80mm round bases worth of Dust Axis walkers.
I also wanted to have a better method of having the ramp stay in the up position.
I had an idea to do a much larger landing craft to take the massive walkers, but if it took me two years to finish this landing craft, I would not like to say if it will ever get designed.
Using my cheap paints and drybrushing up the dark brown beams, the next Tudor house in my town project is nearly done.
I still think I am going to end up with a red tile effect roof.
The building and painting process for the MDF Tudor buildings is pretty straight forward. Once each of the floor shells are completed, they are painted in what ever base colour is required. This one is with Homebase Sandstone Masonry Paint, a pot I found in my garage that has been there for a few years.
I used a black marker pen to run over the leaded pattern in the windows. The beams and window frames are then painted a dark brown.
Once the window frames are glues to the outer beams, a bit of dry brushing with the Sandstone pickes out the edge nicely.
Next stage will be to glue on all the beams.
I am having a Tudor house building and painting binge at the moment. Several of the model options have been finished over the last few weeks and I have been adding variations to one of the basic designs to vary the appearence.
I should have enough of this design for my Tudorish town soon.
To go with the Viking Longship, I have also designed a prototype jetty. I have a few more ideas for this which I will try to get finished in the next couple of weeks.
Loads of companies already do movement trays and the chances are that someone out there already does trays almost identical to these.
Regular viewers here will know I like to dabble with MDF designs. The new Oathmark game from Osprey uses movement trays, a unit typically has a five man front rank, and a maximum of fours ranks for infantry.
I thought it would make sense for all infantry units to have the same frontal width regardless of the base size individual models are on.
As I wanted the option of using my Game Of Thrones Lannister models in an army, I started with the front row being five models with 30mm round bases.
Using the same overall tray width and depth, I then spaced out 25mm based models. I also did a 20mm round version, but I don’t know what I would use that one for.
The next movement tray was for three large models on 40mm round bases and 50mm round bases (not shown).
That was most of the round bases covered. Next are the square variants. I started with my really old Warhammer Undead models on 20mm square bases (I am not going to rebase these ever!)
25mm square bases obviously take the same basic footprint at the 25mm round bases. Having a gap between the bases really helps with some models as their arms can interfere with the adjacent model.
Spacing out 25mm x 50mm cavalry bases worked out nicely as well, again giving a useful gap between models for wider models.
The result is that now, a typical unit, regardless of base sizes, will nicely align in combat.
It is especially noticeable when aligning a unit on 20mm bases against a unit on 30mm bases.
Two trays will allow up to twenty infantry models in a unit and just because I could, I have made a single five model rank base for units starting with fifteen models.
There are also some 50mm by 100mm bases for catapults and giants that I will post sometime.
…and I must design an MDF catapult.
Here is another for the expanding Viking village, this is the main Chieftains Longhouse. I tried out a new way of doing stone effects on the sides and I am really pleased with the end result.
There are a few changes needed to the design, but I am getting better at getting the design right (well, nearly right) on the first attempt.