Category Archives: Work In Progress

Whats On The Table?

The last of my Imperial Knights is now underway, the Castellan, the largest of the Knight models.

There kits do go together very well, very cleverly designed so the same leg sections can effectively make two different legs.

I still have to paint all of the Knights, but that was one reason behind buying an airbrush.

Advertisements

Ooops

The box with these in them tipped off the edge of my desk and they ALL broke. There was a big heavy Screamer Killer at the other end of the box and when it got picked up, this lot forgot how to fly.

One of the disadvantages of lead figures, they don’t bounce. Mind you if the Screamer Killer had hit the floor instead, I reckon he would have put a dent in it…

Not a big deal really, they all need painting anyway and these are not going to make it into my starting Tyranid 75 power army.

Armorcast Haruspex

Another unloved model in the Loft Full Of Lead is this old Armorcast Haruspex. With the resurgence of my Tyranid horde, I will need this large creature to give my mostly infantry army some decent hitting power.

It should go together like this…

…but I seem to remember seeing one put together as below, the arms switched so they are out to the sides. I think it looks pretty cool, but I’m not sure if I should just go with what nature intended…

Tyranids To Paint

Having tarted up a few Tyranids a while back for Kill Team, I have decided to tart up the rest of my old 1990’s Tyranid mini-horde and get them into 40K 8th Edition.

All I am doing is rebasing the models, touching up a bit of the very basic paint job and then inking the hell out of them.

I have too many other projects on the go and really do not want to do a major repainting undertaking on the whole army.

The rest of the Genestealers, Termagants and Hormagaunts did not take long to freshen up and they amke up the bulk of the horde.

Fortunately there are only about six models that need completely painting and they will get a similar scheme to the rest so they sort of fit in…

It does make me wonder how many games I played back then with unpainted models, something that I refuse to do these days.

I only have one old Zoanthrope model so will be running it as a Neurothrope instead.

As for this old Hive Tyrant, it is a bit small by todays standards and the model does not quite match the model profile in the Tyranids Codex. So this critter will be used as a Tyranid Prime instead.

My nice big scary heavy chunk of lead that is a Screamer Killer has been sitting around unloved for so many years that the undercoat has started to crack.

To finish off a few units, I just had to buy a couple of original lead Gargoyles to allow me to make a unit of ten, I bought one Tyranid Warrior with a Venon Cannon (I reckon I will need a few more big guns), and finally I did buy a painted large winged Hive Tyrant from eBay as the big boss.

Ultrasonic Baby!

One of the many dangers of watching YouTube is that you think something someone else has done is a good idea and you decide to give it a go. I was looking for alternative ways of getting the paint off models and there were several references to ultrasonic cleaners.

These things are cheaper than you would think at £20 on eBay. Methylated spirits seems to be the stuff of choice to remove paint and so far the results have been pretty good. So I bought one…

The first model zapped was a really old beakie Imperial Space Marine from the multi part box set from way back in 1988 I think…

It took a bit of extra scubbing with a tooth brush in a bowl of warm water, but it has come out rather well.

The next batch going in are some old Space Wolf Terminators and a number of 1980’s lead Space Marines with various weapons and wargear.