One of the new things I am getting into is designing my own laser cut MDF accessories. I am not ready to start with any large and complex pieces yet as getting to grips with the terrible software used to create the cutting plans is proving to be a challenge.
My first bits have been some unit status counters and a container thingy for a deck of cards, in particular, a deck of Warhammer 40K Datacards. When the thing is assembled, it looks a bit like this:
As a prototype, it is not bad for my first attempt, it needs some adjustments here and there, but I am quite pleased with how it turned out.
MDF just soaks up paint, so inking seems to be the way to go. These have been inked with Red Earth ink on the brickwork and Burnt Umber on the roof. A few random bricks were picked out with more ink.
I think the painted white window frames work better than the Burnt Umber ink as they add a better contrast.
These give me some confidence in tackling the large warehouses I have to do.
I finished my TT Combat crane recently and it had its first game recently. I still need to glue some of the bits together but it held together okay for the game.
I also need to sort out the lifting mechanism as currently there is a bit too much string.
The long planned dock and warehouse terrain project may start to gather some more pace. With all of the old AT-43 containers I have, it should look pretty good if I can get going.
I also used a new TT Combat warehouse building, visible on the right, but more of that later.
This model is perhaps not quite steampunk enough, but I really liked the size and look of the thing.
It is a nice big piece that still has plenty of room for models to move around under and on it.
When I was at a port last year, I took some photos of the massive cranes to get some inspirations for colours. I have decided to go with a mix of red, grey and yellow spray paints for the base colours.
After building the cab and undercoating it, I thought I should have cut some clear plastic windows to fit when it was finished, I guess I will have to do it the hard way. Or not at all.
The weather on Saturday was fine undercoating weather. I also had to chop down some trees and get rid of the waste, but in between hacking sessions, I was able to apply spray paint to plenty of robot infantry and get started on the mdf Aeroneff landing platform. I now need some more paint.
Hardly worth getting excited over, but while painting some figures recently, I finished some more treasure chests for a soon to be played game of Cutlass. There can never be enough treasure!
Even less exciting are some mdf crates that came with some TT Combat buildings, but they do provide much needed cover for models.