The raised deck for the carrier is coming along rather well, I am getting through quite a bit of foam board. I started on what will be a below deck gun emplacement. I still have to work on a cannon barrel, something that is of suitable size.
When I was hunting around for plasticard for the Aircraft Carrier project, I found some clear plastic rotor blades designed for small scale helicopters at Hurlbat in Letchworth.
With a sightly larger hole in the middle, these would look pretty good on my steam planes.
After a couple of emails to the gang at Hurlbat, they accommodated and knocked off six custom rotor blades, at no extra cost, and they arrived in the post the following day. Excellent friendly service.
I have decided not to make a lift that goes up and down, it is just too much hassle. So I have removed the mechanism and built up the platform to plug the hole. Lazy.
Although I am many months away from having a finished carrier, these two Hasslefree models based on Adama and Tigh from Battlestar Galactica, will be perfect for the command bridge.
This is it, the first steps in deciding what I want to do with the Aircraft Carrier model and working out how I am going to get there.
The easy bit was paying UK£12 for the hull on eBay. At the time I was looking, there were two different toys available, both looked like they would fit the roll. The first went to closer to UK£20 for some reason.
The hull is quite a long piece of plastic, but it easily comes apart in three bits. The height of the hull is not really very tall at all and it really needs to tower over other models around it. I need to work out how to raise the height of the deck.
I visited the Intrepid in New York a while back and have some good ideas that I would like to incorporate. The control tower will be the most complex build as I am starting from scratch. Currently I am thinking of three floors in the control tower with plenty of walkway around each floor.
There is a lift shaft built into the deck that I can either build over or keep as a feature. It has a small thumb wheel that winds the lift up and down.
Once all the screws were removed the main hull is two main bits.
As the kids don’t play with their Lego any more, it means I can have it all…and it does come in useful for some projects. As I want to build the height of the main deck up by about 5cm, I was able to make a temporary support structure to see how it could look.
I want to have various sections around the hull open with a few defensive turrets and features here and there.
I think this is going to take the rest of 2016 to complete as I have loads of figures to paint as well, but this is a project I will keep returning to.
The next big thing that I am starting work on is a steampunk aircraft carrier for the British Empire army.
It will be big and take a while to finish…
My first idea, and this was a few years, ago was to scratch build the whole thing, including the hull, but I don’t quite think I have the modelling skills (or the time) to make a ribbed hull from scratch. My ship building projects so far have always used a toy hull as my starting point. So I started with the idea of using a Playmobil Cargo ship hull as my foundation. So after much searching eBay for one at the right price, I finally got my hands on one.
But then I spotted an aircraft carrier toy on eBay for a few quid and I bought that as well.
This means I can use my Playmobil ship will get used for something else in the future.
Having a deck that is already the right shape should save a lot of time.
I went hunting for some images online to get more inspiration and found this scratch build which started way back in 2009 and ran on for many years on and off. It really is inspiring stuff. The amount of plasticard used must be staggering. This chap Klaus is in Germany I think, and he designed and built what was going to be a flying aircraft carrier for Warhammer $40K. As it evolved, it became a flying Destroyer, instead when he decided the deck was not wide enough. Christened The Athena, all of the weapons were scratch built and have provided some great ideas that I will try to emulate.
The overall construction of his Athena was really quite something as it was built from the hull up with a ribbed construction and incredibly detailed superstructure. I have recently been able to locate a good plasticard supplier (Hurlbat who deliver in ridiculously fast) and will have to make some small pieces up to gauge what I feel I can attempt.
My overall plans are a bit more straight forward compared to Klaus’ Athena as I at least have a hull to start with. However, I do plan to scratchbuild the control tower and raise the height of the flight deck somehow.