I bought a few pots of Games Workshop contract paints a while back and was not overly impressed with my first attempts. Mr Steinbergs Free Folk and Joken’s Nights Watch models for Game Of Thrones are really well finished and I feel I am missing out somehow.
I decided to give it another go and paint, or should that be ink, a whole set of models to see how I get on.
My Warcry Iron Golems had been painted “the old way”, so the other faction in the Warcry starter box, the Untamed Beasts were to get the contrast treatment.
I started with the flesh wash which does give a really good effect for no effort whatsoever. I then added the bone weapon wash which also came up pretty good.
The trick is not to get any colour on bits you don’t want. It is not just the case of painting over a bit of careless brushwork as contrast ink over another contrast ink does not really work unless you are using one of the really dark colours. I made the mistake of using a very dark brown on the Untamed Beasts big dog creature thingy and it is really too dark.
The other thing I don’t really like is that they seem very dull and flat. I will have to get some brighter colours to provide a more varied palette, so far I only have nine pots to choose from and they are nearly all variations on brown, a bit limited really.
The flesh effect is great so I can see myself continuing to use that on models that I may complete the old way.
Basically, I am still not sure if I like contrast paints or not…maybe when the models are finished I can make up my mind…
The smaller scatter terrain pieces for Warcry have loads more detail than I thought when I first undercoated them. Apart from the skulls, there are fiddly ropes and more metal work to do.
After lots of drybrushing they are coming along, but these bits have taken as long as the large ruins.
Will be having the first game with the terrain later even if some needs some finishing touches.
Painting the large Warcry terrain pieces is actually quite easy, I undercoated them in a couple of shades of gray and Burnt Umber for the wood.
The worse bit however was painting all of the ironwork black, it took ages to do on all the sections!
The other bits of scatter terrain have more fiddly bits to do and so will take a bit longer.
I have the bell tower to finish as well, I really like the terrain and this will get used in many games!
All of the Warcry terrain is built at least and now gets added to the painting pile.
There sure is plenty of it and it covers a good sized area.
It is not just Warcry that will get to use this, Frostgrave, Dragon Rampant and Ragnarok games will also get use of it, just perhaps not the bits that have Chaos symbols on them.
My second Amera piece is a simple ruined temple. Like the ruined tower, this is a vacuum formed plastic piece that really did not take much painting.
One of my smaller projects is to finish my Frostgrave table, basically a small area of ruins and old castle towers. My first Amera piece came up quite nice although it will look better when there is plenty of treasure chests and crates scattered across it.
It is what it is, a pile of treasure for Frostgrave.
After the undercoating problems with two of these plastic towers, I decided to slap some more paint on to see how they would turn out. The undercoat had grained up something horrible but I just carried on anyway and picked out random bricks to add some grey variation.
It will do, perhaps a thin ink wash to be be added later.