I really like the current batch of fantasy terrain from Games Workshop and now have TWO more sets to finish.
I am going to magnetise the pillars and have just received a good selection of 4mm and 6mm magnets so I can now start drilling loads of holes and making sure I get the polarity right when gluing them in.
Along with the ruins from the original starter set, this will make for a good sized table for multiple game genres.
Now that some stores are opening again, I encourage everyone to go and support you Local Games Store. I popped in to Wargames Workshop in Milton Keynes today to buy something!
I went for the Sigmarite Dais, a nice piece that will go nicely with the rest of my Warcry ruins.
I do have a habit of making off table stuff for games, my latest gizmos are card stands for Warcry.
A card and dice holder for the faction cards, and a four card holder for the map and mission cards.
Warcry and Ragnarok have a variety of weapons available that have various close combat ranges between 1″ and 4″. Sometimes getting a ruler into a tight space can be tricky, so I have made some measuring sticks that allow an easy access between models.
One version has a 1″ and 2″ measuring widget and a second version has a 3″ and 4″ measuring thingy.
I bought a few pots of Games Workshop contract paints a while back and was not overly impressed with my first attempts. Mr Steinbergs Free Folk and Joken’s Nights Watch models for Game Of Thrones are really well finished and I feel I am missing out somehow.
I decided to give it another go and paint, or should that be ink, a whole set of models to see how I get on.
My Warcry Iron Golems had been painted “the old way”, so the other faction in the Warcry starter box, the Untamed Beasts were to get the contrast treatment.
I started with the flesh wash which does give a really good effect for no effort whatsoever. I then added the bone weapon wash which also came up pretty good.
The trick is not to get any colour on bits you don’t want. It is not just the case of painting over a bit of careless brushwork as contrast ink over another contrast ink does not really work unless you are using one of the really dark colours. I made the mistake of using a very dark brown on the Untamed Beasts big dog creature thingy and it is really too dark.
The other thing I don’t really like is that they seem very dull and flat. I will have to get some brighter colours to provide a more varied palette, so far I only have nine pots to choose from and they are nearly all variations on brown, a bit limited really.
The flesh effect is great so I can see myself continuing to use that on models that I may complete the old way.
Basically, I am still not sure if I like contrast paints or not…maybe when the models are finished I can make up my mind…
My newly painted (and nearly finished) Warcry terrain got its first use in a couple of games this week. This allowed us to use the terrain setup cards as well as the missions and twist cards. The whole thing works very well giving loads of setup options. Not all of the terrain is used in every mission, so some of the newly painted (and nearly finished) terrain did not even get used, after all that hard work as well!
These games featured Mr Steinbergs new Orc horde against my Iron Golem warband.
The first game we played was capture and burn objectives, so some strategic running around was required to outnumber opponents to allow an objective to be claimed.
Quite a few of Mr Steinbergs Orcs had bows and so they are able to pop off a few shots and take a few wounds off the Iron Golems before any serious melee breaks out.
It was all tied up at two objectives each before the Iron Golem’s decided to beat down on a few Orcs and so miss the opportunity to get a tie. The sneaky green ones managed to claim the last two objectives and get a win.
The next game had the greenskins needing to kill three particular models in the Iron Golem warband, including the large and scary Ogre.
Deployment can cause some challenges, as you never quite know where your models are going to come on until the deployment card is flipped, makes it interesting!
Luckliy for the Iron Golem’s, the hard hitting massive spear was kept away from Ogre, but the other two targets fell quite quickly.
In the end it was a big brawl and even the mighty 30 wound Ogre was taken down, nibbled to death by the green tide.
I like this game, good game mechanics, quite different from the norm, the added abilities, both generic and warband specific give each force a unique style.
The smaller scatter terrain pieces for Warcry have loads more detail than I thought when I first undercoated them. Apart from the skulls, there are fiddly ropes and more metal work to do.
After lots of drybrushing they are coming along, but these bits have taken as long as the large ruins.
Will be having the first game with the terrain later even if some needs some finishing touches.
Painting the large Warcry terrain pieces is actually quite easy, I undercoated them in a couple of shades of gray and Burnt Umber for the wood.
The worse bit however was painting all of the ironwork black, it took ages to do on all the sections!
The other bits of scatter terrain have more fiddly bits to do and so will take a bit longer.
I have the bell tower to finish as well, I really like the terrain and this will get used in many games!