Category Archives: WH40K

Whats On The Table?

The last of my Imperial Knights is now underway, the Castellan, the largest of the Knight models.

There kits do go together very well, very cleverly designed so the same leg sections can effectively make two different legs.

I still have to paint all of the Knights, but that was one reason behind buying an airbrush.

Advertisements

Ooops

The box with these in them tipped off the edge of my desk and they ALL broke. There was a big heavy Screamer Killer at the other end of the box and when it got picked up, this lot forgot how to fly.

One of the disadvantages of lead figures, they don’t bounce. Mind you if the Screamer Killer had hit the floor instead, I reckon he would have put a dent in it…

Not a big deal really, they all need painting anyway and these are not going to make it into my starting Tyranid 75 power army.

Armorcast Haruspex

Another unloved model in the Loft Full Of Lead is this old Armorcast Haruspex. With the resurgence of my Tyranid horde, I will need this large creature to give my mostly infantry army some decent hitting power.

It should go together like this…

…but I seem to remember seeing one put together as below, the arms switched so they are out to the sides. I think it looks pretty cool, but I’m not sure if I should just go with what nature intended…

Tyranids To Paint

Having tarted up a few Tyranids a while back for Kill Team, I have decided to tart up the rest of my old 1990’s Tyranid mini-horde and get them into 40K 8th Edition.

All I am doing is rebasing the models, touching up a bit of the very basic paint job and then inking the hell out of them.

I have too many other projects on the go and really do not want to do a major repainting undertaking on the whole army.

The rest of the Genestealers, Termagants and Hormagaunts did not take long to freshen up and they amke up the bulk of the horde.

Fortunately there are only about six models that need completely painting and they will get a similar scheme to the rest so they sort of fit in…

It does make me wonder how many games I played back then with unpainted models, something that I refuse to do these days.

I only have one old Zoanthrope model so will be running it as a Neurothrope instead.

As for this old Hive Tyrant, it is a bit small by todays standards and the model does not quite match the model profile in the Tyranids Codex. So this critter will be used as a Tyranid Prime instead.

My nice big scary heavy chunk of lead that is a Screamer Killer has been sitting around unloved for so many years that the undercoat has started to crack.

To finish off a few units, I just had to buy a couple of original lead Gargoyles to allow me to make a unit of ten, I bought one Tyranid Warrior with a Venon Cannon (I reckon I will need a few more big guns), and finally I did buy a painted large winged Hive Tyrant from eBay as the big boss.

Too Many Tyranids

As I sit here by a pool with a Gin and Tonic, I have plenty of time to read and ponder what is next on the huge wargaming backlog.

As we have been enjoying Warhammer 40K again and bought into Kill Team, I have been sorting through old models to see what can be used in Kill Team.

The Tyranids were an easy Kill Team to muster, they did not take much work to get on the table, only needing a handful of models really helps.

To give myself plenty of options, I updated a number of models so I can try out a proper swarm team at some stage. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I just rebased them and splashed on some ink.

I can now field lots to Termagants or a horde of Hormagaunts with a single Tyranid Warrior to keep them in check.

Or I can try the nine Genestealer team…

So now I have more than enough Tyranids for Kill Team, I am wondering how long it would take to update all of my old models an make a small 40K sized army.

These are all the updated models, but there are a few more boxes that I would need to work through to make units of at least ten models. I would also need to build some proxy critters to count as some of the larger Tyranid models that did not exist the last time mine were used, which was most likely back in the 1990’s.

Imperial Knight Building

For my second Imperial Knight, magnetising the Chainsword/Power Glove options was a little bit more complicated then the ranged weapon options on the first Knight.

The first step was to get all the bits laid out so I could work out where to make the magnetised joint and what spacers were required for the magnets.

I had to do plenty of trimming and drilling on the main arm joint to take a 6mm diameter magnet.

Another magnet was added in the Chainsword join on top of some plasticard spacer.

This should work well when the whole thing is painted and fitted together.